Journal History

STATISTICA first appeared in 1931 as the Supplemento statistico ai nuovi problemi di Politica, storia ed Economia edited by the Universities of Bologna, Padua and Ferrara with the aim to emphasize the emerging role of Statistics in face of the evolution of social sciences. In the first Issue, the Editor, Paolo Fortunati wrote: “The Supplement to new problems means to represent the contribution of a group of scholars which want to be sensitive to the scientific and social changes of the present time and believe that quantitative methods be the most coherent with the new theoretical or not theoretical requirements. … From methodological statistics to applied statistics, an infinity of problems stir our days. … Furthermore it needs to give a suitable social view to these problems if we want Statistics arises to universal method”.

In 1941 the Supplement changed its name to STATISTICA and became a leading Journal for the Italian statisticians. Famous scholars collaborated to STATISTICA as members of Scientific Board or simply as authors of papers. Only a few references: Corrado Gini, Bruno De Finetti, Carlo E. Bonferroni, Marcel Fréchet, Samuel Kotz, Camilo Dagum, Estelle Bee Dagum, Italo Scardovi (Editor in Chief, 1981-2004). From 2005 to 2017 STATISTICA has been directed by a board of four Editors.

Past Editors

1931* – 1980

Editor: Paolo Fortunati (founding Editor)

Associate Editors: Alfredo De Polzer, Nora Federici, Giuseppe Ferrari, Giuseppe Mirabella, Giuseppe Parenti, Silvio Vianelli

1981 – 2004

Editor: Italo Scardovi

Associate Editors: Camilo Dagum, Lorenzo Del Panta, Carlo Filippucci, Attilio Gardini, Paola Monari

Executive Editors: Giancarlo Bettuzzi, Carlo Filippucci, Stefania Mignani, Marilena Pillati, Paolo Paruolo

2005 – 2009

Editors: Lorenzo Del Panta, Stefania Mignani, Paola Monari, Giorgio Tassinari

Executive Editor: Marilena Pillati

2009 – 2017

Editors: Paola Monari, Michele Costa, Lucia Pasquini, Giorgio Tassinari

Executive Editor: Carlo Trivisano

* The journal was established in 1931 as the “Supplemento Statistico ai Nuovi Problemi di Politica, Storia ed Economia” and obtained its current title in 1941.